To assess visible morphological defects in E9.5 embryos from lethal strains
- Set up timed matings with heterozygous mice
- Day 0 is defined as the midpoint of the prior dark cycle following the identification of a copulation plug.
- Minimum number of animals : 1 mutant of any sex
- Age at test: E9.5 and Younger
- Capture gross images (optional)
- Collect tissue and genotype embryos.
- Set up timed mating with heterozygous animals. Dissect at a consistent time and collect >=2 homozygote embryos. Coordination with viability screen is at the centres discretion.
- Score embryos as live or dead if possible.
- Assess embryos according to Gross Morphology parameters.
- Generate gross images of embryos (optional) with scored defects and control embryos.
- Collect tissue for genotyping
- Process embryos for Histopathology, or other imaging (OPTIONAL - depending on center pipeline)
- Scores will be shown per embryo and split by zygosity.
If capturing images please attempt to capture left, right, front, and back views of the embryo but if this is not possible left, right is sufficient. Feel free to take higher magnification views to show morphologies of interest.
Tam somite method for counting somites should be adopted:
Tam scoring system uses a forelimb range of 8 to 15 somite pairs resulting in E9.5 embryos ranging between 25 to 26 somite pairs.
All genotypes should be collected using validated assays.
Y chromosome assay required for X-linked lethal strains.
Embryos may be processed for Histopathology or 3D Imaging