To monitor the anxiety-related behaviour of mice in a two-chambered light-dark arena over a defined period of time in order to assess the anxiety phenotype.
Minimum number of animals :
procedure.minMalesM + procedure.minFemalesF
- Age at test: Week 9
- Sex: We would expect the results of this test to show sexual dimorphism
- Mice are allowed to acclimatise to the phenotyping room for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Light levels are set so that the light intensity within the light arena is between 100 – 200 lux and the dark arena is at 4-7 lux. Light metering is performed at the start of each test day.
- The method of recording is set up with each arena defined. The light arena is the left half of entire chamber.
- Photobeam sensor check will be performed using the built-in diagnostic function at the beginning and end of every trial.
- One mouse is placed in each light arena.
- A 20 minute period of recording is started as each mouse is placed within an arena.
- At the end of the 20 minute trial, the mice are removed from the arena and returned to their home cages.
- The chambers are cleaned with a 1% Virkon S solution between mice to decontaminate and remove scent cues from previously tested mice.
- Analysis of the recording is done to measure the activity of each mouse in each of the two zones and the number of transitions between zones.
The Accuscan Versamax system is configured to report the following parameters for each mouse. Versamax Files are converted into text data files using Versadat. It outputs a .DPP File containing light/dark place preference information. Raw data is stored until outlier detection and other QA/QC procedures are complete.
Local QC data to assure all data fields have recorded data. In the case all data fields have a value of 0 that particular mouse data will be removed.
- Verify that total time of each run is 20 min.
- In the case that the censoring value=1 the case will be dropped from analysis.
- VersaMax provides both duration of sensor fault or connectivity errors in total seconds. Values for unacceptable parameters should be discarded if greater than 60 seconds, if more than 10 continuous seconds of errors occur Accuscan will stop the trial.