Complete Freund's Adjuvant (CFA) induced paw edema is used to measure local inflammatory response.
Minimum number of mutant animals: 7 males + 7 females
Age at test: 17 weeks
- Baseline measurement
- Turn on the callipers and check they are set to record millimetres.
- Anaesthetise the mouse.
- Once the mouse is anaesthetised, position the callipers on the ball. of the mouse's paw. The callipers should touch and close the ball of the mouse's paw (just below the toes).
- Once the callipers are positioned correctly, the size of the edema should be recorded.
- Repeat the measurement three separate times.
- The challenge should be administered shortly after the baseline measurement has been completed, while the mouse is still anaesthetised.
- Administer the challenge to the plantar surface of the right hind paw.
- Test 1
- 24 hours after the challenge injection was administered, re-measure the mouse's paw.
- The mouse will not be anaesthetised and will need to be restrained.
- Measure the paw using the saw protocol as was used during the baseline measurement.
- Test 2
- 48 hours after the challenge injection was administered, re-measure the mouse's paw, following the same protocol as was used during test 1.
This procedure is a pilot study from the Pain Phenotyping Pilot