To assess thermal sensitivity.
Minimum number of mutant animals: 7 males + 7 females
Age at test: 9 weeks
- Acclimatise the mice to the arena for 30 seconds on the day before testing.
- On the day of the test, switch on the hot plate and bring up the temperature to 52° Celsius. Two people should be present for the test.
- Set up the video recording camera to record a 360° view of the hot plate, using mirrors to reflect the images.
- Place the mouse on the hot plate, depressing the foot pedal simultaneously.
- Both experimenters observe the mouse from 2 different angles for any reaction to the stimulus.
- If a reaction is observed then the foot pedal is depressed again and the mouse is removed from the hot plate.
- The mouse is removed after 30 seconds, even if no reaction has been observed.
This procedure is a pilot study from the Pain Phenotyping Pilot